On the road again and again

Man, when I told the Observer that I'd need to quit about halfway through August, I envisioned myself with two full weeks of idle bliss. Before the move, I thought, there would be stacks of books, a photo project, even time for computer upgrades — while hitting the pool every day.

In reality it's been rushed as all hell. Only through some truly Stove Top-level coincidences have I been able to get everything done that I needed to. And now I'm about to embark on a road trip to make the Joads proud before the big cross-country enchilada.

Tomorrow, it's up early to get down to S.A. Meet Grady there, then we're off to Corpus to see my grandmother. We'll leave that same night to go to Houston. That way we can spend Thursday with family out there. Then Friday, we wake up and head back to Austin (via College Station to drop off Grady's stuff), where I still have to load up the car, try to see all my friends, and drop a few threes at Hancock before I leave.

Next Tuesday, Amanda and I make the big departure. It'll be Austin to Roswell one day. Roswell to Flagstaff the next. Then Flagstaff to Vegas, where we'll pause for a day to visit family and lose money. Saturday, we'll wake up early and make our triumphant entrance to the Bay Area, hopefully before rush hour.

It's gonna be wild, and probably more exciting than the internet, so I'll see you suckers in a week or two.

Labels: ,