Special Edition Double Snapshot Post

My work week:

mulch fire black and white

helotes mulch fire smoke

Those are from a mulch fire out in Helotes, which is just West of San Antonio. The pile's been burning for about two months now, pretty much right in the middle of town. It's a little surreal. When you come around the corner on FM 1560, which, contrary to the farm-road part, is a feeder into several newish subdivisions, you can't miss Mt. Helotes smoldering in the middle of a pasture. I actually said out loud "Holy shnikes!" — and I'm pretty sure I've never said that before in my life.

When the Post runs the story, I'll post it here. My only regret is that I missed, literally by seconds, going on an up-close tour of the site. The Express-News got some pretty dramatic shots while I waited in the parking lot with the PR woman who was supposed to get me on the tour but accidentally got left behind herself.

Still wavering on which of these photos I like better. The B&W is sweet large.

Labels: ,