The ol' ball and chain

exuberance

The more I inch toward professional photography, the more inescapable weddings seem to be. The pay is pretty all right, but the work is absolutely exhausting. I really can think of few things that are as physically and mentally draining as shooting a wedding for eight or more hours — maybe planning a wedding. And if you edit the photos for the couple, which I always get suckered into, the pay steps down to "not bad, but maybe not worth the effort."

I guess it's equivalent to being a grocery-basket pusher at HEB: it's okay as a first job, but you get out of there as fast as you can.

In spite of all that whining, every wedding yields at least a few great shots, about which a photog should never utter a discouraging word.

POSTSCRIPT: Latest solo wedding was Jon Dobertin's, for those of you who remember that guy from San Antonio. I also helped Wylie with one last weekend.

Labels: , ,